Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Week 2


In this weeks research I have sort of narrowed down my ideas for this project. After haphazardly coming across a movie called "Only when I dance" on Netflix which is a documentary of two kids in Rio De Janerio, Brazil. These two kids are attempting to make it big in the ballet world and dance for some of the worlds most prestigious dance organizations,despite some of the odds of living in the ghetto and racial pitfalls. I found this movie not only inspiring because of the lack of determination in the youth in America but because the kids in the movie beat the odds of many. I am what I would call an undercover ballet fan, I have just recently discovered the endless possibilities of being a fan of this sort of dance. I think that because of my fascination with ballet has been the driving force behind my project. I really enjoy the whole aesthetic of peoples bodies in motion. I think that I would like to encompass some facet of the body and movement.Some ideas that are not final but are still grounds to work with is to maybe examine or poke at the idea of whats holding us back? whats holding me or you back from achieving our goal, pursuit to happiness? how much is too much? how much can you bend or stretch? are you determined challenge?how to beat the odds? The idea will come to me... hopefully soon. But the way in which I would like to display it all in is by illustrative design. I really like drawing and illustrating stuff ; this is why I went this route in choosing ballet and drawing bodies. Maybe I can draw a human body and all of its muscles and just try to find out where determination and drive comes from, what is the magic potion to beating the odds or is it an innate thing that only a higher power has control of. GOT IT!...well maybe?

11 comments:

  1. I found your story of the movie you referred to in class was very moving. Maybe seeking out ways of bring passion and emotion to your image making will engage intended viewers more powerfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am excited to see how this is going to turn out. I like the concept of trying to find a physical reason for determination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea behind your project sounds great. I think if you can find another type of medium to communicate your idea along with drawing and illustration it would add a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice concept, i'd love to see illustrations of the kids from this film that inspired you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the concept. I really think that you should check out some anatomy books. They are really cool, and I have always thought they would be great for an art project. You could identify different parts of the anatomy of a given part of the body- as like- something else. For example, what part of the body allows us to do different dance moves, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea you have of illustrating body and movement reminds me of artwork from the futurism movement, such as Duchamps Woman descending a staircase, or Ballas Dynamism of a dog, where movement is shown visually, and in some cases abstracted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like the idea of diagramming the human body and assigning value to certain areas. I think areas where trouble could pop up might included the seemingly arbitrary attribution of values and perhaps a lack of consequence for not being driven to obtain a goal or to persevere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the idea that you mentioned in class about having a possible interactive portion of your project where the viewer somehow portrays what they feel is their body's strength. ex. feet for a runner or dancer, brain for someone who feels their creative mind is their best asset etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Body is always a beautiful subject, because everyone can relate to it. I think you can do a lot with this project. I'd like to see some concrete ideas for a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The focus on the body is something everyone can relate to. I think that this could be a very powerful project, especially with an interactive piece.
    -Riley

    ReplyDelete
  11. The idea you have of illustrating body and movement is very strong. I would like to see several different mediums and textures of displaying the body.

    ReplyDelete